School of Chemical Engineering
About the School of Chemical Engineering
The University of Adelaide's Chemical Engineering provides an opportunity for students to become world-class graduates who have learnt their skills under the guidance of highly competent and skilled professional staff. Students have access to modern laboratory and computing facilities.
The BE degree in Chemical Engineering is fully accredited by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, and the Institution of Chemical Engineers. Students may also study for combined degrees in BE/BSc, BE/BMaSc, BE/BA, BE/Ec, BE/Fin, BE (Petroleum)/BE (Chemical), BE (Chemical)/BSc (Biotech). For the BE Degree, students can choose between BE (Chemical - Minerals Processing) and BE (Chemical - Sustainable Energy).
In 2007 the school introduced Pharmaceutical Engineering.
Chemical Engineering also offers the postgraduate research degrees of MEngSc and PhD.
The School strives to produce chemical engineering graduates who will be known for their work ethic, confidence, innovation, imagination, scientific and business competency and entrepreneurial skills.
As well the School is the first fully ISO 200l:2000 Quality Accredited Chemical Engineering School for the design and delivery of undergraduate educational, post graduate education, research and consulting services in Australia and New Zealand.
The School of Chemical Engineering exists to develop the highest quality, interdisciplinary programs of teaching and research, to inspire confidence in the ability to learn, and educate chemical engineers to play leading roles in the chemical, biochemical, environmental, food technology, energy and combustion (including laser diagnostics) and materials industries and to educate future generations of our discipline.
History of the School
In the late 1880s, A School of Mines and Industries was established in South Australia to provide diploma courses with the University being responsible for teaching in professional subjects. In 1913, the University established the Bachelor of Engineering, and the Master of Engineering degrees. After World War II the separate four-year BE degree programs were established in the other disciplines. The Department of Chemical Engineering has an historical link with the late 19th Century. In 1939 Professor H. W. Gartrell was appointed to a University Chair in Mining and Metallurgy and the Director of the Bonython Metallurgical Laboratories in the School of Mines. Professor Gartrell died in 1945 and Dr E.C. R. Spooner was appointed to both positions in 1947. The BE in Chemical and Metallurgical Engineering began in that year.
By 1963 the undergraduate degree course and the department's name was changed to Chemical Engineering. Today the Department offers the BE Chemical Engineering, fully accredited by the Institution of Engineers, Australia, the Institution of Chemical Engineers, UK and RACI, and 8 other degree programs
In 2000 Chemical Engineering at Adelaide University became the first Chemical Engineering Department in Australia and New Zealand to have full ISO 9000 Quality Accreditation for the design and delivery of undergraduate and postgraduate services and research in Chemical Engineering. This registration also includes Chemical Engineering consultancy services provided under the Registered Business Name of CHEMENGTEST.